Monday, January 21, 2013

New Kensington Picks 4 THON Dancers



 THON is indescribable with words, so to give THON newcomers a taste of  THON we show them YouTube videos.

“It looks incredible,” said Bill Staniszewski, who will attend his first THON in 25 days. “I can’t wait to be there.”

Neither can New Kensington’s Leigh Hastings, Aric Fellers and Courtney Rockwell, who will join Staniszewski as New Kensington’s four dancers at THON.


“I’m looking forward to going back to THON,” Hastings said “I went to THON last year, and now I’ll get to experience it in a different way.”

The four dancers will have to stand on their feet with over 700 others dancers for the entirety of the 46-hour celebration inside of University Park’s Bryce Jordan Center.

“I can’t think of anything not to look forward to, because it’s going to be an amazing life changing experience,” Fellers said. “I can’t wait for all of it.”

That does not mean there will not be hardships for each dancer, so they’re preparing themselves mentally and physically in the weeks leading up to THON’s finale.

“Standing for 46 hours takes a great physical tool on everyone, so I’ve been working out at the gym four or five days a week,” Fellers said. “I think I’ll try to pull an all-nighter and stand on my feet for 24 straight hours during one weekend to see what I can do.”

Staniszewski is changing his diet to prepare his body for the physical tool at will take at THON.

“I’ve been told to cut out caffeine from my diet, so I did that yesterday” Staniszewski said. “I’ve also been told to bring at least two comfortable pairs of shoes, because your feet will hurt.”

Erin Prager, one of New Kensington’s dancers last year, also offered advice for this year’s dancers.

“Try to take it all in before you can’t remember things and do everything you can,” Prager said. “Walk slowly through the human tunnel. It will take your breath away.”

In order to be picked to dance at THON each dancer had to raise over $1,000 for the Four Diamonds 

Fund, which THON benefits, and they had to attend over 75% of New Kensington’s THON meetings and events.

“We did just about everything we could to raise money for THON,” Rockwell said. “The first of three canning weekends was big for me. I stood outside for 19 hours on the first canning weekends and raised over $700.”

New Kensington’s dancers also raised money by helping to organize the first ever 12-hour mini-THON at Burrell High School, hosting spaghetti dinners on weekends and writing THONvelopes to friends and family.

“A THONvelope is when you write to someone you know to ask them to donate to THON,” Rockwell said. “Some donate a lot of money and some donate $5. Every donation counts.”

Each dancer was prompted by personal connections to cancer to volunteer for THON.

“I think everyone is connected to cancer in some way, and everyone knows someone directly or indirectly that has battled cancer,” Hastings said.

The effects of cancer are especially vivid to Fellers.

“This past summer my best friend’s mother passed away from Leukemia. Seeing what cancer does really had an effect on me," Fellers said.

Now, they’re looking forward to having an effect on kids with pediatric cancer.

“When you’re on the floor with kids for 46 hours, you get a personal connection with them that you never thought you could have with a child before,” Rockwell said. “You’re there to support them, to tell they’re not alone, to tell that they’re going to win their battle.”

What does THON mean to New Kensington's four dancers?

“Thon means everything to me. I really value helping others, and I really love philanthropy. My goal since I learned about THON has been to help these kids.” – Leigh Hastings

 “I think becoming a dancer is a way to help someone brighten their journey, brighten their day. When you see a kid on the floor you just want to make their day brighter.” – Courtney Rockwell

“THON shows what great things people can accomplish when they work together to a common goal, and it shows that people have love in their hearts for others less fortunate than them.” – Aric Fellers

“I was looking for a charity to be involved in that helped a lot of children or one that helped people with cancer. My grandfather died from cancer and my mom has had several miscarriages. THON helps children with cancer, so it was really just a natural fit.” – Bill Staniszewski

No comments:

Post a Comment